Friday, March 03, 2006

Thursday For Week Six

To make up for last week, I'm starting early and thinking BIG!

First off, here is my first Illustration Friday submission. The theme was "tea".
This was one of the Busy Owl series of paintings. It's acrylic on bristol.


Here is the sign I made for Balthrop, Alabama. We just had our first show last night. It was really great. Unfortunately, this sign was the only set that made it to the show. Our fences are still quarantined in Castle Anthrax. The back drop is coming along. It will be ready for the next show. I just hope that the show will be ready for the sets. The show also gave me tons of ideas for later. It's all terribly exciting!

http://www.balthropalabama.com/
http://www.pascal.com/


I put together Cat and Crane: Up On The Roof #4 last week. (It's on sale now! Cover by Stan Yukinaga!) The process goes like this;
Step 1: First I come up with the idea for the issue and draw it.
Step 2: Then I ink it.
Step 3: Now it's time to copy, cut, paste, copy again. Then make 40 or 50 more copies.
Here are some pictures.

Step 4: Next I get together all the stuff I need to start assembling Issue 4. I usually set up on the livingroom floor and pop a DVD on. I always work with background noise. Mostly it's Douglas Adams, on cassette or ipod, but often (as it was this time) it's FireFly. My paper cutter is on the left. The fancy fancy long stapler is up top. And all the copies are on the right.

Step 5: Then I measure and cut each page. I cut the pages 5 or 6 at a time. Then I group them together in four different piles. I try to lay them out in the way it will be easiest to assemble later. You know, like putting them all turned the same way, first page first and so on. Because...




Step 6: ...is to put all the pages together. I pick one from pile 1, one from pile 2, one from pile 3, and one from pile 4. Then fold them all together. I use a herd surface placed on the rug to help make a clean fold. This time I used the new Paul Pope Batman Year 100 comic. What a good comic, by the way! I <3 Paul Pope! And thanks to Bob for turning me on the him. There is no reason why I used this comic. It was just lying around the livingroom.

Step 7: Next I take the collected and folded comics and staple them. The stapler is so awesome! It has a ruler and a marker bar. The bar can be adjusted to the measurement of the middle of the comic. This way each comic is stapled perfectly (yeah, right). Here is another picture of me stapling. Because it is just so fucking exciting!









Step 8: Then they're done! Look at all the comics I have! Mwahahahahahaha!

So, that is the story of Issue 4 of Cat and Crane: Up On The Roof. Which is on sale now (did I say that already?). Email me to sign up for the Madam X Newsletter to find out where to buy #4 or any of the other comics. My email is madamxandcrew@gmail.com. Easy to remember, right? The Newsletter tells you other useful things, too. Like which of my t shirts designs are winning, which shirt will be made first, um.. and other stuff.

I think this qualifies as the longest and most image intense blog so far. I think it's time to say "goodbye" until next week.
love and rayguns,
-mo

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Love the tea illustation! Very cute and fun. Mary :-) (Imagik)

11:02 AM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Mad Cat Quilts said...

Thanks!

12:27 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Mad Cat Quilts said...

Oh my god, thank you!
Which octo do you like better, 1 or 2?

3:53 PM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger Mary said...

being from alabama, the Balthrop, Alabama thing has me interested. Are they a band from AL. or just using that in their name?

9:19 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Mad Cat Quilts said...

Mary, The band leaders are from Alabama. I forget exactly where. Their last name is Balthrop. Please check us out at http://www.myspace.com/balthropalabama
Thanks for the interest!
-mo

1:27 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Janet said...

I'm from AL, so I was curious about that, too. Glad you posted the comic book stuff...Cool!and if I may ask....where'd you find the fancy stapler?

7:06 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Mad Cat Quilts said...

I get more comment on that stapler then everything else put together! And with good reason! I really just got it at office max or staples, I swear. It's special but not mysterious! Everyone should have one!!
-mo

3:19 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Christine Lim said...

Splendid! Love the way you put the bits together. Excellent illos.

7:58 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice works!

9:30 PM, May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home