Thursday, March 09, 2006

Some Say Pins, I Say Buttons!

Week Seven is also a big week. Strangely, I thought I had nothing to talk about today. I was wrong.

I think I will always start with Illustration Friday (http://illustrationfriday.com/) so that when people come from that site they will see it right away. If they choose to stick around for the rest of the blog, they're welcome. But this way they don't have to.
This weeks topic was INSECT. I had planned on doing an actual insect, a Praying Mantis. (I'll tell you a story about it later)
But I decided to stick with what I do best:


That's right, pretty girls!
So here is the Mantis story. When I started thinking about insects I thought to do a real insect. Something tiny, something unnoticed. I thought to do a small bug at the bottom of the composition, with New York towering over him. But I didn't know what kind of bug to draw. Then I was talking to Candice and (Cat and Crane cover artist) Stan, and remembered that once I saw a Mantis by my subway station. It was a hot summer day and I was on my way to work at 6:30am. It was sitting, swaying on the steps. I have always found those bugs quite disturbing and ominous and the light was so early and weird. I found the whole experience spooky and strange. I think it will be one of those things I will always remember. (Even though it did take me a little while to think of it.)



MADAM X HAS BUTTONS!! CAT HAS BUTTONS!! Oh my, I can't believe it. I have wanted to do buttons from the very beginning of Madam X. I actually made some huge ones once. They were made with some scraps from the comic and they weren't very good. Plus they were gigantic. I know that some of you people floating around still have them out there. And that is awful sweet. Did I mention they were huge?
Well these beautiful buttons are new, wonderful, and of a manageable size. I ordered them from Busy Beaver Buttons (http://www.busybeaver.net/index.html). And aren't they great great super great? I will use them all the time when I need buttons. They were easy to order from and quick to get the order done and sent out. They use USPS, which I always prefer. I'm not home enough to use UPS or Fedex. Eeek! It makes me want to get buttons all the time I want to get more buttons right now!!
But, in order to get more buttons, I have to sell some of these buttons (1$ each. Contact me for purchasing information). I have been giving them away, mostly. I feel that there are people, Madam X supporters, who deserve them.



Here are two photos I was playing with in photoshop. The first is Deb on her birthday. Or at her party anyway. She had a crown on and it's her pretty pretty princess shot. I messed with it to pink it up. I like the way that the crown kinda shines. One day I want to figure out how to isolate items with in the picture and mess only with them. PS is still alien to me. I'm just starting to muck about with it in any way. I think that the originals of both these photos are better.
The Bippi pic, I also pinked up. I tried to get the contrast up so that the pic would be pink and greenish. She is just so cute. I think it might be a good idea just to get better at taking the actual photo taking. I really need to learn to use all the modes on my camera. One day I may even read the owners manual. Shocking, I know.


Okay, I have more stuff that I could/should put up her (nobody say octo!). But I think I want to wait until next week. I don't want to over load you guys. A little at a time is usually best. My ink stained fingers can attest that there may be some more Madam coming next week and maybe other things. I did not say anything about any octo, I don't know what you are talking about!
See you later,
-mo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home